Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Thoughts of a Counselor

And if I count myself a counselor of men, it is only because my soul, which is one with yours, has preached to me.

...My soul preached to me and instructed me to drink the wine that cannot be pressed and cannot be poured from cups.

Before my soul preached to me, my thirst was like a dim spark hidden under the ashes that can be extinguished by a swallow of water.

But now my longing has become my cup, my affections my wine, and my loneliness my intoxication; yet, in this unquenchable thirst there is eternal joy.

My soul preached to me and taught me to touch that which has not become incarnate; my soul revealed to me that whatever we touch is part of our desire.

But now my fingers have turned into mist penetrating that which is seen in the universe and mingling with the Unseen.

...My soul spoke to me and said, "Do not measure Time by saying, 'There was yesterday, and there shall be tomorrow.'"

And before my soul spoke to me, I imagined the Past as an epoch that never returned, and the Future as one that could never be reached.

Now I realize that the present moment contains all time and within it is all that can be hoped for, done and realized.

My soul preached to me exhorting me not to limit space by saying, "Here, there, and yonder."

Before my soul preached to me, I felt that wherever I walked was far from any other space.

Now I realize that wherever I am contains all places; and the distance that I walk embraces all distances.

My soul preached to me and said, "Do not be delighted because of praise, and do not be distressed because of blame."

Before my soul counseled me, I doubted the worth of my work.

Now I ralize that the trees blossom in Spring and bear fruit in Summer without seeking praise; and they drop their leaves in Autumn and become naked in Winter without fearing blame.

...My soul preached to me and taught me much.

And your soul has preached and taught as much to you.

For you and I are one.


(adapted from Secrets of the Heart. Meditations by Kahlil Gibran, II A Counselor or Men, pgs 19-24)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!